Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Day After Surgery

I went in for my surgery yesterday at 6am. I was nervous as can be but I had a really good blessing the night before and I knew it was going to be ok. I remember them getting me all prepped and giving me the anesthetic in my I.V. and that's it. When I woke up, it was hurting really bad and I thought they hadn't done the surgery yet, but they had. I was hyperventilating and crying in pain. I wanted John but they wouldn't let him come back yet. I felt like I was freaking out. They kept giving more pain meds and I would drift in and out but I felt like it wasn't working. Finally they got the pain under control for me and I ended up sleeping there until almost 1pm. That's a long time considering the actual surgery only lasted about a half hour, maybe 45 minutes! I was super drugged up! They put a plate that's probably 6 inches long in my leg along my fibula bone and 7 screws. One of the screws goes all the way through my ankle.


I got home around 3 from the surgery center and only got a half hour of rest when the doctor's office called me and told me I needed to go back to the hospital for an ultrasound on my leg. I had this knot in the back of my leg close to my knee that was stinging and I wasn't sure what it was. It didn't feel warm or red, just felt like a ball of something and it stung bad. So they didn't want to take any chances of it being a blood clot and sent me for an ultrasound. By the time all was said and done, they didn't see one..yay.. we got home around 7 and I crashed for the night. It was an exhausting day!
I'm dreading them taking the staples out of my leg because I'm sure that doesn't feel good either and I don't even know when they do that but I'm dreading it already. I am suppose to get a hard cast sometime next week and hopefully be on my way to a fast recovery :) one can dream right?! I know for sure that I don't want to have surgery again in 10 weeks, but I can't change that either, so for now I just have to take one day at a time!
I want to tell everybody out there that I really appreciate your support and the help with meals and running my kids places. It has made this a lot easier for me knowing my family is being taken care of :) so thanks everyone! Love ya tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment