Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon today hoping to see the x-ray proving my leg will heal just fine, to get my staples out, and to get my hard cast. I seen the x-ray and it was great! My leg should heal without complications. YAY!


Dr. Blair's nurse took my staples out.. OUCH! I've never experienced that before and it was not fun! They have this little tool that they put underneath the staple and this piece that goes on top to bend the staple in the middle causing the legs of the staple to unlock and spread out.. then they pull the staple out. It felt like she was clipping my skin with each staple she took out! There were 17 staples! I started to feel sick to my stomach after she was done.. then I thought I was going to vommit.. then I got really light headed and was going to pass out when I suddenly just leaned over and layed down fast! I'm not sure I made that decision to lay down but it probably saved me from passing out and falling off the exam table! I guess I don't have as big of pain tolerance as I thought I did. I almost passed out when I broke my leg and tore the ligaments but that was understandable... This was just removing the staples!
Then Dr. Blair came in to talk to us. He decided he didn't like how red the area was and how swollen it still is. He told us that was an indication of infection. How does it get infected when its wrapped up nice and tight inside a soft cast?!


So now, I have to take an antibiotic, keep an eye on my leg to make sure the redness doesn't spread outside of the lines they drew or that it doesn't keep swelling! I mean sheesh.. I don't even have an ankle anymore.. just a kankle!! I will go back on Friday for a recheck. They put this splint contraption on my leg for now and with any luck, I will finally get my cast Friday!


I'm getting frustrated.. if it's not one thing then it's another. I just want to get started so I am further down the recovery road. It has been 1 month ago today and I'm kind of going crazy right now with not having any independance. I used to say, "I wish I were a kid again so I would have no responsibilites and I could just play all day, not have to worry about bills, jobs, etc." Now, not so much. I miss my independance! Just being able to run to the store if I need to or drive myself to work or anything normal. This will pass... it's just a long time to be stuck at home unless someone takes me somewhere, unable to do the things I used to do.
The good news is that I should only have to be in a hard cast for 4 weeks instead of 6, then a walking boot and physical therapy for 4 weeks, and then the next surgery to remove the ankle screw. He said I should be able to walk on my own after the screw comes out. So I'm looking at a total of 2 months! I should be all done and ready to go camping in May... YAY! I'll be soooo ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment