Friday, May 1, 2009

In Rememberance of My Dad



A year ago today, my dad lost his battle with cancer and left us to fulfill his calling in heaven. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him.


It seems like there's always something, no matter how small, that triggers a memory for me of him. Simply dropping off my kids to school reminds me of him, because every chance he got, he would take them and he loved it. He used to just chuckle to himself about how he couldn't believe how small they looked next to all the other kids. One time my dad was taking them to school and he was a little bit too early so he decided to circle the block a couple times.. well, Makayla was getting this annoyed look on her face and he asked what was wrong.. Makayla said, "grandpa.. you are wasting our time!" Dad said she was so serious about it and he just laughed. He laughed about it all through his chemo treatment that day.


My dad just enjoyed the simple things in life. Taking his family camping, fishing, going to the park..


taking his grandkids to the dollar store. They had him wrapped around their little fingers.


He was so amazing with them. He read them books and ruff housed with them. He did homework with them too. He liked to just have them around.

He was a man of great integrity and raised us by his great example. He was always lending a hand wherever needed giving such great service to others.

When the flood in Blackfoot happened in '97, I decided I would sand bag for one of my laurel projects which meant, 20 hours minimum. He was right there by my side chucking those heavy sand bags along the river bank. We had so much fun.. we laughed and laughed. He especially found it funny when he would toss the sand bag to me, but it wouldn't quite make it too me, so it dropped in the water at my feet, splashing me with water and mud and making the bag 10x heavier for me to heave to the next person! My muscles were like jello after 2 straight days of tossing those bags. It was such an awesome feeling serving next to him. He taught me the greater and important things in life. I have many wonderful memories of my dad, that I will always cherish. I miss him every day. He was too young to go... Life really is too short to take anything for granted, especially the chance to make memories with your family. I'm so grateful to him that he made it so important to have our family be close to each other and to make memories with us so that now, I can reflect on it all, as I miss him so much. I have a great love for the gospel and the knowledge it brings into my life. The knowledge of knowing that I will see my dad again brings the most comfort to me. I love him and will always miss him.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Veronica...I have thought about you all day today and have been praying that you had a GOOD DAY!!! I hope that you and your family were able to do a few fun things that were in remembrance of your dad. I know that this past year has been so hard for you, but I admire what a GREAT daughter your dad has raised and he must be so proud!!!!! I appreciate your friendship and the things you teach me every single day. Hang is there...the best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete